Reasons to Join an Association
As a professional association, NAIWE works hard to help you succeed. You’ll receive tools and training to help you grow in your profession, support as you meet professional challenges, and opportunities to develop your marketing skills so that you can create the kind of career you want.
Membership can help you succeed.
- You can connect with readers, clients, agents, and publishers.
- You’ll learn how other writers and editors have created multiple streams of writing income and how you can too.
- You can join even if you’re just getting started and NAIWE will help you begin to build your career strategically.
“Whatever your specific field, if there’s a National Association . . . , join it.”
From Zen and the Art of Making a Living by Laurence G. Boldt (2010)
No matter what kind of writing or editing you do, you need to belong to a strong professional organization. NAIWE provides you with an online presence, assistance in using your website, and marketing support through our social media channels and our monthly newsletters. We seek to provide the place where you can come and receive a warm, personal touch that you deserve as you develop your career.
Your membership in an association demonstrates commitment, credibility, and professionalism.
“I appreciate the opportunities NAIWE provides for networking with other freelancers; ours is a pretty solitary enterprise, after all, and it’s good to know that there’s a free database of pros in almost every aspect of writing and editing available to me through the site, people I can call on when I find myself in need of expertise that’s different from my own.”
Are serious about building a writing or editing career
Want a recognized home on the internet to connect with readers, clients, agents, and publishers
Understand the value of developing an author platform
Appreciate the credibility that comes from membership in a professional association
Value networking and referrals
Are focused on actively developing your craft
Would like to eliminate the “feast or famine” income cycle
You are an ideal member, and we invite you to join NAIWE.
You don’t have to be traditionally published before you join. You don’t even have to specialize in just one area–we realize that writers and editors can find many ways to earn a freelance living. Most of us don’t have the luxury of writing only fiction or editing only academic monographs. In fact, we encourage NAIWE members to create multiple streams of writing income because it’s your best guarantee of financial stability.
“NAIWE has inspired me to market myself as a freelance writer/editor much more aggressively than I have in the past. I think membership in a reliable, respected professional organization is important to members of any profession; and it is probably more crucial to those of us who work independently.”
Why Choose NAIWE?
- You have an immediate internet presence, even if you’re not a technical wizard.
- You’ll learn from our unique focus on building an online presence with multiple streams of writing income.
- You will benefit from instruction from the NAIWE Board of Experts.
- You are welcome here, even if you are a writer or editor who doesn’t fit neatly into a genre or specialty.
- Your business will benefit from our commitment to research, ongoing professional development, and marketing.
- You have a partner who is committed to helping you build your career.
- And finally, NAIWE is the association that truly believes in the power of working independently, setting your own hours, working with people you enjoy, being there for family, and having time for friends, travel, and great books.
Join us today, and let’s work together to meet your goals!
Read more about NAIWE benefits