NAIWE Code of Ethics
Members of the National Association of Independent Writers and Editors (NAIWE) agree to adhere to the highest standards of ethical behavior in all publishing and business transactions.
- Be honest: We will seek to negotiate contracts that are mutually beneficial and will abide by all applicable intellectual property and business laws.
- Be loyal: We will support the artistic, academic, and/or business goals of those we work with. We will treat each client’s creative works as private and confidential, and protect the integrity of information or documents entrusted to us for writing or editing.
- Be Fair: If contracted to provide writing or editing services, we pledge to do so in a fair and unbiased manner, providing outstanding service based upon our knowledge and understanding of the subject as well as our professional expertise.
- Be competent: We will accept no contract that we will be unable to fulfill in a timely, professional manner. This includes work that is outside the scope of the writer or editor’s expertise, or jobs that are presented with an inadequate time for satisfactory completion.
In addition, NAIWE members will also:
- Continue professional development: Members will maintain, improve, and update their knowledge and skills through reading, classes, and networking with others.
- Communicate promptly and courteously, using the preferred method agreed upon with the client.
NAIWE and its members are bound by the NAIWE Code of Ethics and the Business Ethics Pledge. We commit to working with each other, our clients, and our agents, editors, and publishers with honesty and integrity. If these are the values you live and work by, we invite you to join us and let the world know that business ethics and business success can work together for good!