NAIWE Code of Ethics
NAIWE and its members agree to adhere to the highest standards of ethical behavior in all publishing and business transactions.
- Be honest: We will seek to negotiate contracts that are mutually beneficial and will abide by all applicable intellectual property and business laws.
- Be loyal: We will support the artistic, academic, and/or business goals of those we work with. We will treat each client’s creative works as private and confidential, and protect the integrity of information or documents entrusted to us for writing or editing.
- Be fair: If contracted to provide writing or editing services, we pledge to do so in a fair and unbiased manner, providing outstanding service based upon our knowledge and understanding of the subject as well as our professional expertise.
- Be competent: We will not accept contracts that we are unable to fulfill. This includes work that is outside the scope of the writer or editor’s expertise, or jobs that are presented with an inadequate time for satisfactory completion.
In addition, NAIWE will:
- Offer professional development: NAIWE will continue to host monthly webinars on a variety of topics of interest to writers and editors, as well as maintain and expand its list of on-demand trainings. In addition, NAIWE will co-sponsor the Be a Better Freelance conference.
- Communicate promptly and courteously: NAIWE will communicate on a monthly basis to members about upcoming professional development opportunities as well as poll members to discover what topics they would like to see covered.
In addition, NAIWE members will:
- Continue professional development: Members will maintain, improve, and update their knowledge and skills through reading, classes, and networking with others.
- Communicate promptly and courteously: Members will use the preferred method agreed upon with the client while maintaining professional courtesies.
NAIWE and its members are bound by the NAIWE Code of Ethics. We commit to working with each other, our clients, and our agents, editors, and publishers with honesty and integrity. NAIWE invites you to join us and let the world know these are also the values that you live and work by and that you believe that business ethics and business success can work together for the good of the publishing community!