Join the Association with the Career-Building Difference!
If you’re serious about your career, committed to being the best professional you can be, and moving steadily toward your goals, you are an ideal candidate for NAIWE membership. The primary focus of NAIWE is to support you as you develop the marketing components of your career, and we offer some other career-building benefits as well. We hope you will explore further and join NAIWE today!
We have general benefits for everyone.
1. NAIWE website. You may have read about how a strong presence on the web can build your writing or service career, but you may not have wanted to spend a lot of time and money creating a website from the ground up. As a member of NAIWE, a professionally-designed website will be available to you. Adding content to your new website is as easy as typing an email, and you will be provided simple how-to instructions to get you started. You can also look at the NAIWE Member Activity Feed to see what other members are doing with their member sites.
- Homepage where you can introduce your books or services
- Portfolio pages, for reviews, testimonials, references, and samples (whatever you’d like to include)
- Professional profile page, including education, experience, publication history, and more
- The ability to add more pages
- A blog where you can reach out to readers and potential clients with business breakthroughs, new books published, speaking engagements, articles, tips, news, resources, and more!
A blog where you can reach out to readers and potential clients with business breakthroughs, new books published, speaking engagements, articles, tips, news, resources, and more! Every time you post on your NAIWE blog, NAIWE will re-post it on our social media accounts, expanding your reach even further! You can also look at the NAIWE Member Activity Feed to see what other members are doing with their member blogs.
3. Newsletter Promotions. Posts on your NAIWE blog may be promoted in The Edge: Success Strategies for People Who Work With Words, which has a subscriber list of over 6,900, as of August 2020. Both members and prospective clients subscribe to The Edge, so your blog posts promoted in the newsletter become one more way to introduce yourself and advertise your books and services.
4. Searchable Database. NAIWE members are all listed in NAIWE’s free searchable database! Instead of just hoping for traffic, you can have the confidence that anyone can easily find your NAIWE website. You’ll be able to communicate with readers and potential clients through the information on your NAIWE site.
5. Job Board. NAIWE members receive alerts from people looking to hire freelancers, along with specifics about the job postings. Members can then apply for the jobs by contacting the person directly.
6. Social Media Marketing. The posts you share on your member website are eligible to be promoted on NAIWE’s social media pages. The NAIWE Member Activity Feed is scanned each week on Member Monday, and many post titles and links are posted on social media to increase your readership. Member posts that are tagged with the #NAIWE hashtag can also be reposted on NAIWE’s social media pages for you.
7. Quick-Start Guide. You’ll want to start with Make the Most of Your Membership: A Quick-Start Guide to NAIWE. This handy guide provides a brief overview of the benefits you receive, along with step-by-step instructions for accessing everything. You’ll be off and running in no time!
We have writing opportunities for our writer members.
8. Guest Posting on the NAIWE Blog. As a NAIWE member, you may guest post on the NAIWE blog. Articles should be between 500 and 1,250 words and of interest to our members. All guest posts will include a member byline and a link to the member’s active NAIWE website.
9. Guest Articles in The Edge. The Edge: Success Strategies for People Who Work with Words is a monthly newsletter that encourages and equips publishing professionals. It features information about NAIWE, professional development opportunities, and engaging material written by NAIWE members. NAIWE welcomes and reads all submissions of completed articles written by NAIWE members in good standing with a developed member website. For more information, see the writer’s guidelines.
We have opportunities for interactive members.
10. Member of the Month. You have the opportunity to be a interviewed as the featured member of the month on the NAIWE podcast and blog and in The Edge: Success Strategies for People Who Work with Words. This benefit has great PR potential, as you can post the recording of your interview on your own site, and it will be archived on the NAIWE website for as long as you remain a member of NAIWE. This interview will provide an opportunity for you to share your story with readers or potential clients and network with other members. And the positive press helps to build your career!
11. Book Chat. Your book will have the opportunity through a Book Chat interview to be featured on the NAIWE blog and podcast and in The Edge: Success Strategies for People Who Work with Words. This benefit has great PR potential, as you can post the recording of your Book Chat interview on your own site, and it will be archived on the NAIWE site for as long as you remain a member. Doing a Book Chat will provide an opportunity for you to share your story with readers or potential clients and network with other members. This is the kind of positive press that helps to build your career!
12. Affiliate Bonuses. Because your professional affiliations are part of your résumé, a “Member of NAIWE” badge image is provided so that you can add it to your social media profiles or other websites you own. Then when someone clicks on the link from your page and joins NAIWE, you earn 10% of their initial dues payment. It’s NAIWE’s way of saying, “Thank you for posting your NAIWE affiliation.”
We have opportunities for our author members.
13. Book Promotions. If you have published a book, you may mail autographed copies to NAIWE headquarters. When new members sign up to support a member, they will receive a copy of a member’s book, along with a request that they post a review online. This is a great way to build your book’s audience and reviews!
14. Book Reviews. You may mail an autographed copy of your published book to NAIWE headquarters to be read and reviewed. The review will be posted on NAIWE’s blog, as well as on NAIWE’s social media’s sites. Then, the book will be added to the Book Promotions pile for a new member to read and post a review!
Professional Development Benefits
15. Member Resource Library. The Resource Library provides articles written by current and former members of our Board of Experts on many industry-related topics to help your business grow faster than ever before. Topics include
- What to charge
- Why you need a marketing plan
- Power proofreading
- Low-cost marketing ideas that can build your business
- How to work with editors
- Why you may want to work with a business coach
- And many more!
16. Webinars. Each month, we feature a member of the NAIWE Board of Experts on a topic that is designed to help you grow in your field. Our experts are successful full-time writers and editors, and they impart a lot of wisdom in an hour (or sometimes more).
Members attend at a discounted rate of $10 for each webinar. Nonmembers may register for individual webinars at $30 each. Just attending the classes without joining the association would add up to $360 for a year, so this is a benefit of great value.
17. Training Archive (in development). We have hundreds of recorded webinars that will soon be available for NAIWE members.
Resource and Equipment Benefits
18. Discount on Cadman Training.
Cadman Training aims to help writers and editors to save time and improve quality. Its online, self-paced courses combine videos, exercises, and quizzes, making it easy to track your progress. And lifetime access means you can return to the courses whenever you need to. Cadman Training currently offer courses in PerfectIt and EndNote, for both PC and Mac users. NAIWE members receive 25% off all courses!
19. Discount on The Chicago Manual of Style.
The Chicago Manual of Style Online is the undisputed authority for style, usage, and grammar in an accessible online format. Completely searchable and easy to use, CMS Online is available to individuals and small user groups, as well as academic, private, and public libraries, through annual, IP-based subscriptions. Subscribers receive full access to the 17th and 16th editions of CMS, as well as access to the online CMS Users Forum. NAIWE members receive 20% off the book or online subscription!
20. Discount on EZRA.
Easy Relationship Application (EZRA) is a database to house all of the information for your small business! EZRA was developed by Editorial Inspirations to meet the record keeping needs of freelancers and their businesses. NAIWE members receive a $50 savings! And there’s a free 30-day trial available.
21. Discount on Geoff Hart’s Effective Onscreen Editing.
Geoff Hart has recently published the 4th edition of Effective Onscreen Editing, which covers Microsoft Word 2016 for both Macs and Windows. NAIWE members receive 22% off the print book or 25% off the e-book!
22. Discount on the Ghostwriting Professional Designation Program.
Ghostwriting Professional Designation Program (GPDP) trains writers, journalists, and published authors to be book-industry experts proficient in ghostwriting theory, skill sets, unique tools, and mindset transitions. Introduction to Ghostwriting is the 6-week GPDP prerequisite class to help you decide if professional ghostwriting is a good fit for you. NAIWE members receive 10% off Introduction to Ghostwriting!
23. Discount on Grammarly.
Confusing and sloppy writing damages your company’s credibility and frustrates your customers. Grammarly helps you write clear messages every time. NAIWE members receive over a $75 savings annually!
24. Discount on House of Design Web Services.
Shaila Abdullah has over a decade of experience designing websites for authors. Being an award-winning author herself, she understands the industry and will provide you with a content management website that reflects your unique style, genre, and personality. Other design services such as book covers and interiors, marketing materials, and email campaigns (e-newsletters, announcements, etc.) also available. NAIWE members receive 10% off any service.
25. Discount on H&R Block.
As of 2018, H&R Block operates approximately 12,000 retail tax offices staffed by tax professionals worldwide. It also offers consumer tax software as well as online tax preparation and electronic filing from their website. NAIWE members receive 25% off for new H&R Block clients, 20% off for existing H&R Block clients, or 20% off for tax preparation software.
26. Discount on Institute of Professional Editors Limited Events.
The biennial conference is an exciting opportunity for editors and other publishing professionals, researchers, students, and associates from all across the world to connect, learn, and celebrate best practices in editing and publishing. In addition, IPEd offers training and webinars to improve your skills. NAIWE members receive member pricing.
27. Discount on JSTOR.
JSTOR provides access to more than 10 million academic journal articles, books, and primary sources in 75 disciplines and its JPASS is an easy way to access the world’s leading academic research. You’ll have superior reference materials from a wide range of subjects available to you to help ensure the accuracy and quality of your work. NAIWE members receive 25% off annual memberships.
28. Discount on PerfectIt Software.
PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality, saves time, and helps to enforce style guides. PerfectIt is used by thousands of editors around the world because it lets editors control every change, giving you the assurance that documents are the best they can be. NAIWE members receive 30% off the software, and there’s a free 14-day trial available.
29. Discount on Spoken Word Transcription Services
Spoken Word Transcription Services allows authors the freedom to escape sitting behind their keyboards. Spend your energies on the creative process and let Spoken Word handle the typing. Whether still in the notes-taking and brainstorming phase or ready to get your entire book typed out, record your content in audio or video format and let them transcribe it to text. NAIWE members receive 20% off transcription services.
NOTE: We’re always open to offering more benefits to our members, so if your company would be interested in partnering with NAIWE, please contact us to discuss your proposal.